For play group this week, I set up an appointment with the local fire fighters at the station a couple of blocks from our house. I thought it would be fun for the kids and they loved it! The firemen took a lot of time to talk with the kids about being firefighters, showing them their equipment, the station, and the trucks.
The most important thing the guys emphasized is to not be afraid of fire fighters with all their gear on--to go to them if there is ever a fire. They had the kids practice yelling "Here I am! Here I am!"
The firemen had the kids hold the heavy hose nozzle.
One of the guys slid down the fire pole.
Sitting in the back seat of the ladder truck.
And the driver's seat of the pumper truck.
Bryce found the wrench used to open the hydrants.
Then they asked if any of us moms wanted to try on the fire equipment. I was volunteered...
This stuff is heavy--about 100 pounds, and is $2,000 worth of clothing and equipment.
I was already getting sweaty and couldn't move very easily before they put the air tank on my back.
My little assistant is always ready to help--no matter where we are.
3 comments:
AWESOME!! I set that up here for playgroup several years ago and it was phenomenal. You gotta love firefighters. :)
You look good, Sheen!
What a tough gal! Could you imagine going up and down stairs with that on? Eeek!! Looks like fun!
what an awesome activity! I showed Joseph your picutures and he really enjoyed them. I'll have to look into seeing if Joseph preschool could do this. It sounds like you have graet firemen who were very kid friendly. Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment